Saturday, November 26, 2005

Lies, lies, everywhere but not a drop o' deceit.

Well, local council elections happened.

There's a woman I know who, through tireless effort, campaigned her council to not privatized their child-care center. They didn't listen and tried to sell it anyway, which failed. She had attempted to campaign the local government on several issues to do what is best, to little avail. I (along with her conscience and others) suggested she run for council - don't complain about the government, BE the government (to put a spin on the old Biafra media cliche), and insisted she run as a Green. (I think my exact words were, if you are a Greens member, and want Greens changes, yet you don't run as a Green, especially if it is because you don't want to lose votes, you may as well be a latte left.)

Today she has Cr. prefixing her name.

I spent 5.5 hours handing out how-to-vote cards (for a different candidate than the above.) It was good. There weren't many who only wanted only the Greens card, but those few that did made it all worthwhile. The only negativity to speak of would be one bloke wearing a cowboy hat who lambasted me with "I don't vote Greens, they tell lies." He also didn't have to gall to pass me on his way out.

Unfortunately the candidate didn't win. Bum. But the cowboy hat guy had me stumped, I was trying to think of lies The Greens are actually guilty of.

I can think of numerous blatant Liberal lies (including that Higgs fellow who lost - HA!), Johnny has seen to that. Quite a few Labor 'policy adjustments', I guess you could call them. Democrats may have a history of disappointment, but not lying per se.

I noticed my triangle from the rally had 'end the lies' on it - perhaps it was referring to themselves?

I am aware of Bolt and his abilities to attribute pretty much anything any crackpot lefty might suggest, true or not, is the fault of the mystical green influence (sometimes he uses an uppercase G.) Even if that suggestion is, say, the common scientific communities consensus, it's still a lie, co-ordinated by the evil "(G/g)reens" underground society, which is so well organized that it has veto power over any voice that endangers the secret goal of living like hippy Amish communists.. (just a guess.)

Anyhow, what better place to find The Greens lies than the website of the ubiquitous Family First parties media releases - the only place that tells the true story of the Evil Greens. With such topics as "Green's Anarchist Candidate Could Hold Balance of Power", "Greens Hysteria" and who could forget the classic "Latham Logging Back-Flip Proves Greens will be Dangerous in Senates".

So that's where I turned.

But, it seems the page has been changed.

In fact, it is the same page, but all the anti-Greens (I think it's incredibly safe to call it) propaganda has vanished. Thankfully, the good folk at the Internet Archive's WayBack Machine have retained a copy of the page in its previous form.

See the current one here, and the old one here. Already sent this to crikey, just on the off chance that it's of as much interest to me as it is to others.

Now, I think one of two things could have happened, either the page was vandalished (possible, the actual PDF's are still available), or they were removed (it might have something to do with the 'we are being taken to court by The Greens for misleading advertisements' and perhaps they lost...)

In either case, best grab a copy while you can, if they're gone, I can provide then upon request.

Anyway, hopefully I'll find some Greens lies one day. I'm still hopeful.

I will end this with a quote from the Tonester from Lateline, who should take a few lessons on deceipt from his master:

TONY JONES: Tony Abbott, on another matter, have you met Archbishop Pell during the election campaign?
TONY ABBOTT: Not that I can recall.
TONY JONES: Not that you can recall, because we believe that you've had at least one meeting with him quite recently? You don't recall that?
TONY ABBOTT: Well, when? Where?
TONY JONES: At the presbytery in Sydney.
TONY ABBOTT: Ah, actually now that you do mention it, I did met with Cardinal Pell. So what? Why shouldn't I meet with Cardinal Pell?
TONY JONES: Why couldn't you recall meeting him, I think, 10 days ago?

(Jones could have said "I'm sorry, the correct answer to my question was 'I'm sorry but I was trying to lie about it, but I fucked up. Whoops. Not sure how I got so far in the Liberal party without being a good liar.")

3 Comments:

At 12:58 am, November 30, 2005, Blogger Sarah said...

Interesting that they felt the need to remove the anti-green headlines but not the misplaced apostrophes ("Family First Declares It's Position On Abortion") and other errors ("Family First Won't Backdown or Withdraw TV Ads"- should be 'back down' in this context).

*waves fist*

Maybe they should try and get someone who has gone beyond the equivalent of 6th-grade in home-schooling to write their headlines...

That aside, I can't think of any Green lies either. That's why I vote for them! Unless I'm wrong and homosexuals really are the devil, or universal healthcare will kill people or something.

 
At 12:25 am, December 01, 2005, Blogger Mikey_Capital said...

I love the "Senates" comment.

Ah FF. Presumably following in the bootsteps of the Herald Sun misinformation campaign about the Greens around the same time.

Get a response from Crikey?

 
At 6:09 pm, December 01, 2005, Blogger Larry Bonewend said...

"Today we were going to learn about the correct usage of apostrophes, but instead, we have been forced by those in power to learn about Intelligent Design and Stupid Evolution."

Yeah they really milked that Herald Sun crap, until the Press Council forced them to denounce it as the bullshit it was.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home