Friday, October 28, 2005

Parks and Park-age

A woman of colour in the Northern Territory, inspired by the passing of civil rights activist Rosa Parks, has today made headlines by standing up to what some see as unjustified seating segregation on public transport.

“I felt moved by Rosa, and to be honest, this was a long time coming,” said an enthused Ms Jones. “I don’t believe any one person has more right to a seat than another.”

According to the minister for transport, the seating rule of precedence is common in the Territory, and considered a matter of courtesy. “To my knowledge, we have never had a problem when people of certain traits are given priority,” he claimed today.

White socialite Jenine Craigwright, the instigator of the request, was quoted as being “dumbfounded” and was disturbed by the incident.

“When I was told to ‘expletive-off, you old cripple’, I was taken aback. The sign clearly labelled the seat to be offered to (the) disabled or elderly. The journey was quite difficult clinging to my Zimmer frame, but I managed.”



Rosa, I salute you.

1 Comments:

At 12:44 am, November 01, 2005, Blogger Mikey_Capital said...

Is that true or a Larry invention? I gots to know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home