Thursday, May 11, 2006

Unsolicited calls = why?

OK, 3 unsolicited phone calls (2 from companies wishing me to change phone providers) whilst I prepare to struggle through some rather nasty education learning procedures that require concentration and attention (commonly known as assignments) has resulted in the following thoughts:

Why did we open our telecommunications network to the markets?
Does anyone remember astronomical prices for calls in the past?
The unsolicited advertising/sales calls are not fun for anyone.

The recipients don't enjoy it.
The call center staff aren't finding it particularly pleasant either.
And with line rental being jacked up, even without Mr "if you don't like price hikes, you don't NEED to have a phone ya'know" Alston around, I don't see any benefit in value.

Why was this done?

"In July 1997 the Australian telecommunications sector was opened for full competition with removal of restrictions on the number of licensed operators and anti-competition mechanisms (replaced by general competition law under the oversight of the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission)."

Read the wiki.

Don't blame the person on the phone, they are trying to survive.

Blame the company, and blame the bastard's in power that introduced this idea. (I wonder who was prime minister in '97, hmmmmm...)

Oh, and the same people in power that year are the same people that blocked Labor's enforcable do-not-call list from proceeding in parliament.

Everytime the phone rings, and there is that few second pause, you know what to say.

"Fucking Howard, not again... No thanks mate, not interested, sorry, bye.. no, sorry, I'm not interested,.. OK I'm going to hang up, no I really don't care about the savings. Or the prize. Or the $200 in free calls... Ow! Shit, I just fractured my courtesy bone and tore my politeness ligament, fuck.. *click*"

4 Comments:

At 12:16 am, May 12, 2006, Blogger Justine said...

There's also this website you can put your details to get removed from mailing lists etc.

We put dad's name in after he died, and it actually worked.

Although it didn't stop optus from charging him $40 a month for his mobile. Ha!

ME "Can we cancel it pleeease? He'd dead"
OPTUS "Um, yeah, sorry, but the contract hasn't expired..."
ME "Well HE has, so could we change something here?"
OPTUS "We could put it in your name instead,"
ME "So, you're telling me me won't add my husband's name to our phone account, even though I've requested that in writing, but you can just switch my dad's whole mobile account over to my name so I can continue paying it? Is that what you're saying?"
OPTUS Pretty much!

 
At 2:27 pm, May 14, 2006, Blogger Larry Bonewend said...

Yeah the ADMA has an optional "Please Maybe Don't Sorta Call Us" list here.

Although, doing that only punishes the companies that are honest enough to be a member of ADMA or those that abide by the Code of Practice.

According to the awesome Electronic Frontiers Australia page on the matter:

EFA believes that stronger regulation is needed for an "industry" that is increasingly out of control. The Australian Direct Marketing Association ("ADMA") has only small coverage of the telemarketing sector. According to ADMA's web site as at 25 November 2005, only 32 ADMA members[4] are in the "telemarketing services" industry.

I do find it amusing when someone attempts to cancel a contract for a legitimate reason - many companies don't even have a policy or even train their staff on how to deal with that sort of scenario.

And as far as I can tell, Telstra's policy seems to be once a contract is cancelled, or business lost, they put your number on some kind of 'Spam Profusely List'. IIRC, minutes from switching from them, you get a call trying to get you back.

 
At 2:32 pm, May 14, 2006, Blogger Larry Bonewend said...

Oh, and the main reason I'm not on that list is because it does not discern from business and charities. I have no beef with charities.

Being on the list will also mean no telephone fund-raising from Guide Dogs, Medecins Sans Frontiers, and others - as annoying as telemarketing is, it pales in comparison to reduced funding for them.

 
At 8:22 pm, May 14, 2006, Blogger Mikey_Capital said...

I accepted three raffle tickets from the spastics. That's the second time I did that. When they arrived I simply binned them. And I'll likely do it again.

It just seemed easier to say yes. I wonder if they'll ever send a debt collector after me?

I sure as hell will be able to see them coming though...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home